Lucy and I have been talking about the possibilities for sponsoring a child to attend Shepherd's. On Monday morning over tea she shared her epiphany! There was a little girl, Careen Mussa, who attended Shepherd's last year. Her older brother, Collins, is in class 5 this year. Careen and Collins do not have a father at home and they both bounce around living with Aunts, Grandmother, and mom. Last year mom lost her job and wasn't able to sent either child to school. Her older sisters decided it was important and pulled together the funds to send Collins to school. They were unable to find enough money to send Careen, so she left Shepherd's.
On Sunday, Lucy saw the family at church. She said Careen, merely 7 years old, and not having been in an English speaking school for a year, ran up to her and said, "I miss you Madame! I miss my school! I miss my teacher!" Lucy said it brought tears to her eyes and she prayed for a way to help this little girl. Then she remembered me.
When I heard this story, as you can imagine, I couldn't help but think this was perfect. Tuesday morning Lucy took me to meet the grandmother and the mzuri (beautiful) young lady. I will bring her to Shepherd's starting next term, September 7th. When I asked Careen if she liked Shepherd's her eyes lit up with her enthusiastic "Yes!" I didn't think she could get any more excited until I said, "Would you like to go back to Shepherd's?" "Oh, yes!!!" she said and then she wrapped her arms around me. Lucy explained to grandmother who looked at me with tears in her eyes and said (in Swahili), "God bless you." I will never forget that moment and I am so thankful I was able to meet her before I return home. Lucy has promised to keep in touch with me about Careen's progress and I will be able to send things to her through the school. Oh how I love Lucy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment