Thursday, July 16, 2009

Strike! vs. Ginger Rogers

Ok, since I've been here the clothes I have seen around Arusha make me chuckle on a daily basis. I've given gonga (high fives) to people in UNC hats and almost broke down and bought a Red Sox championship t-shirt at a second hand store. Yet, hands down, the best came last week at the Nursery and Primary school. I could have sworn someone was continually tapping on a window as the students at the Primary school shuffled (no pun intended) back to their classroom after getting lunch. It wasn't until recess I noticed a little girl wearing tap shoes with her uniform. Reminds me of when I took tap in college for my PE, but that's another story.

I thought that was adorable, but after spending a day with the baby class last week, the tap shoes were beat out. This cute little one walked beside me on his way outside and I noticed his bright blue and red shoes. Yes, bowling shoes. It was the cutest thing ever.

This week has flown by. I was at the 4 week hump of thinking, "how much longer until I get a hot shower with pressure??" But, on my walk home yesterday I started to think how much I was going to miss "Mzungu!" being yelled at me across the soccer field. I have made friends with the neighborhood children, joining in makeshift games of "football" on the dirt streets. I think they come to expect my walk home so they can yell "Good morning!" (Yes, they yell that at night and I hate to admit that I've haphazardly responded the same way from time to time. It's just so darn cute!)

Tuesday afternoon at the Primary School Baba Silvano held a little ceremony for Erika's farewell. Class 5 sang two beautiful songs and read a beautiful poem, of course sparking my "waterfalls." I'm not sure I can sit through that again! My work at the school has been more of helping the students who are struggling and holding conversations about teaching with Silvano and Nancy, who is the Primary School head teacher. Today, however, our conversation turned to gender differences in the cultures which spawned off the topic of Michael Jackson! Teacher Nancy is my age and it is so neat to talk with her about life here and life back home. Speaking of which, she came into class one the other day and asked me to come chat with her. She sat me down very seriously and handed me a letter. She said, "I really want to start having a pen pal with other teachers." She had pre-written a wonderful letter about herself and her request and also gave me a picture to share! I told her how simply marvelous it would be if the teachers at Trinity could be pen pals with the teachers at Shepherds alongside of the students! I mean, talk about modeling the way! :) I told her I would mention it to folks and try to get more people involved when I return. Perfect.

My dear sweet Alex, in class one, is really struggling. I'm having a hard time helping him play catch up with the curriculum. I've been doing a lot of one on one work with him, which definitely helps, but he is just so behind. I talked to Teacher Ruth (class two) about whether or not they ever hold anyone back a grade level. She said it would be hard to convince the parents to do so given that it will be another year's tuition. I'm going to chat with Silvano a little more about that one...I don't think the problem is simply academics, either. I truly believe there is a processing problem and a sever attention deficit. And, with me leaving in 2 weeks, I just can't imagine how he'll perform the rest of the school year.

During clubs today I participated in more traditional African dancing. Little Edifrid didn't have a partner, so I had to jump in and dance with him. It was so much fun and I think I'm really getting the hang of it! :) I sat down with class one and two to take some pictures of the other students' dancing and Alex climbed over everyone near me and came to sit right on my lap! I took a picture of the two of us and little Collins who was practically on top of me, as well. I have a feeling that pic is going up on the wall.

Next week Lucy and I are visiting a neighboring orphanage. Jessica, one of the other volunteers, works there and she and I are going to work with some of the kids to see if any are ready to come to Shepherd's. I've decided to give up cable (shocking, I know!) and sponsor an orphan to get the quality education I know Shepherd's can give. Lucy and Silvano have promised to be in touch with me about the child's education throughout the process. I think this is the closest thing I can do other than bringing a child back with me. And, trust me, I've already asked.

Tonight will be another tearful good-bye as my fellow teacher friend, Eric, and my Canadian trio are headed home tomorrow. What an amazing connection we've made, though. I have faith we will see each other again. Maybe even in Tanzania!

Two more weeks and counting! I'll let you know if any other clothing items top out the bowling and tap shoes! Take care! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment