Yesterday afternoon I went with dada Sukhi to her placement. It is an orphanage located very close to our home stay. The children are all sponsored to go to a private school, except for two who attend government school. Sukhi goes there after school to help them bath, wash clothes, and cook dinner. Oh, how I wish I'd known about this place before! It is perfect timing for me to leave my placement and meet Sukhi there before I head home to the family. I'll be joining her in the evenings for my remaining time.
Mama Rehema has a child of her own and has opened up her home to unwanted children. She has had help financially and occasionally receives a volunteer to help her in the evenings. Each child is sponsored separately and she also receives monthly donations from a past volunteer for food. I am just awed at the willingness of this woman to take care of these children!
When we arrived the children were already bathed and their uniforms did not need washing until the weekend. So, Rehema pulled out some gifts she'd received for the children. Some bubbles, a skipping rope, and some soft baseballs. The kids were fascinated! It took me asking and repeating names constantly for me to somewhat have an idea of who is who among the 12 children.
Salma, her sister Saumu, and I played a game of monkey in the middle whilst 5 other little ones climbed on my leg blowing bubbles on me. After our games we all piled into the "kitchen" to work on homework. I helped Mwana, Godfrey, and Sylvester with their work. I was so impressed with each child, who diligently wrote down their ABCs and numbers. I had them read to me and practice a little more before I let them leave. They were more than happy to oblige.
I hate to admit that I already love little Sylvester. He is soft spoken, very intelligent, and kindly mannered. When he looked at me his little eyes just lit up. When I congratulated him on a job well done his smile lit up the room. I really can't wait to see him again on Monday!
This morning I was actually able to sleep in! After taking tea, I took my laundry outside. Dada Rosie and I bonded over soapy (and muddy!) water. Every time I washed a piece of clothing she would take it from me and do it again. I'm sure she was thinking, "Oh, silly Mzungu!" I have to admit there is something kind of satisfying about washing clothes by hand. It's also a bit disturbing, however, when the water you are washing your clothes in is the color of the mud on the ground. Good thing my standards of hygiene left me a long time ago!
Mama Florence is still away. I know it kills Benson and Bevellin (oh, yes! I've been calling her the wrong name for weeks! Good thing I call her "Bevvy" a lot!) that she is not there. We've tried to keep them in high spirits. And he did say his birthday was the "best birthday ever!" We're hoping she returns today, as Sukhi has only met her once! Sukhi leaves next Thursday morning, too!
Since Florence is gone caca Alex and I went to the parent day at his school this morning. We sat down in the audience and the presentation was solely in Swahili. Hmmm, what to do? So, we went and chatted with some of the teachers, who told us they would have the program translated for us! Very kind, but definitely not necessary. We told them, instead of waiting through the 2 hour meeting, we would come on Monday afternoon to meet with the teachers. Hopefully, Mama Florence will be back by then, too.
Green Valley School is like a college campus. There is a Nursery, Primary, and Secondary school. Alex and I laughed when we saw the sign for the "School Tailor." It was quite incredible. I am very thankful he is able to attend such a school, one that is definitely prestigious in Arusha.
It is nice to not have much planned for this weekend. I think Alex and I may try to go see a movie tonight and we're headed to the Masai market after lunch. I'm also in the midst of creating some posters for the walls of the Primary school and am hoping to purchase some supplies for them this weekend, as well.
Much love and hope all is well back home!
Teacher Kim :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I would love to be a pen pal with one of the teachers of the school. Our class is going to write to Matt in Europe. We would love to be connected with Africa! Please give her my email address....tdellinger@tescharlotte.org and my home email of fdellinger001@carolina.rr.com. I just returned from the trip to study Spanish in Nicaragua. It was wonderful and I learned so much. I love reading your blog. You are having such an amazing memory making adventure. You are being blessed and you are being a blessing.
ReplyDelete