Today was the first day at my volunteer placement, Shephard's School. The school is 2 dala dala rides from my home, which takes about 40 minutes. It runs from pre-school to grade 5, with a junior school campus (which I went to today) and a primary school campus that is a little further down the road, and a bit of a walk. The nursery school (pre-school) runs from ages 3 through early 6 and goes until 1:00. There are two "baby classes" of 3 year olds, two intermediate classes of 4 and young 5 year olds, and two "pre-unit" classes of 5-6 year olds. The primary school is like our elementary school, from Kindergarten to fifth grade.
We, Erica and I, met the headmaster, who took us to the founder and manager of the school, Lucy. Well, Lucy is just an incredible lady! We sat and chatted for a little while about the start of the school. In 2003 the school opened with 10 children. By November, they had 23 students and the numbers kept growing! Now there are about 300 students between the nursery and primary school.
Now, I cannot wait to tell you all about the mission of this school! The motto is "Together We Excel." Among the 300 students, there are some who come from more well off families in Arusha. There are also students who are orphans. These students are sponsored to be able to attend the school. All the children wear uniforms and none of the students know if another student is an orphan or not. If the child is sponsored to receive a desk and a uniform then they are able to attend. When Lucy talks about her students, her immense heart for them shines through. (I may have teared up a little in her office...)
We took a tour of the campus and I heard the children coming around the corner saying "Left, right, left, right!" They turned the corner with their hands saluting and stopped, shocked to see mazungos (white people) at their school. I don't think we were the first ones, but it never gets old! They ran past us, slapping five (gonga) and shouting! We started in one of the intermediate classroooms. The students had just sat down, but when they saw us they quickly stood up and said, "Hello teachers!" Lucy responded, "Hello, students. How are you?" "Fine, thank you, teacher." Lucy introduced us and when she finished explaining about our time with them she asked, "Are you happy?" "Oh yes, teacher!" Then they proceeding to sing us a song, "Be Happy Before You Die!" I'll have to get all the lyrics, they are priceless.
We went to all of the classrooms for an introduction and watched a bit of the lessons. Each teacher was so welcoming, as are all Tanzanians! When a student answers a questions correctly the teacher says, "clap for (name)." The students respond with clapping and little poem, "Good job, (name)! Good job, (name). Try again, try again! (then with their thumbs up) Good, better, best!" It was quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen.
Lucy explained to us about a group in the states that is helping out the school a lot! I hope to get in touch with them when I return, but in the meantime, check out their website. www.epicchange.org The girl who started this group came over to volunteer with Shephard's School and look what she's doing! This group just won a contest and all the money is going to a technology center for the primary school!
I am hoping to spend some time in one of the pre-unit classes I visited today, but also to make a connection with one of the level one classes, so we can start a pen pal correspondance next year! My excitement is through the roof to bring everything I have learned so far back to my students! And I've only been here 3 days!
Kwake (who took Erica and me to our site) has a degree in Education and is going to school for community development. He was chatting with Lucy about starting up a school comparable to this one. And he's already offered me a job. Two conversations about marriage (although one with an Irishman Again I must post about my final flight!) and one job offer, maybe I'll be back to climb Kili sooner than I think! :)
Kwaheri Rafiki! I miss you all!
so happy and proud for you ... keep the stories coming!
ReplyDeleteWow Kimberly. That is about all I can say. I am proud and a little jealous of you. I can't wait to hear more!
ReplyDeleteYour new school sounds wonderful, Kim. Love your blogs.
ReplyDelete