Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Habari Rafiki! (Hello friends!)

This is probably a one time occurrence for me to be able to post twice in one day. But, since I've been wandering the town of Arusha for the second day, I'm exhausted, on my way home, and thought I'd stop in the internet cafe again.

I just learned you can upload pictures here, so look for some soon! I spent the day with Ommy again, helping him lead the orientation. It was kind of fun knowing a little bit about the city and being able to share it with the "new" folks. You know, since I've been around awhile. :)

We went to the Maasai market again and I bought this beautiful canvas painting for my classroom, which I bartered for 10,000 less shillings than they were asking. I actually ate local food at a restaurant rather than being cooked for, still good! And again, rice.

As we were walking the streets there was a man on the side of the road sitting in front of a scale. I asked Ommy if he was sitting there so people could pay him to be weighed. He said, "Yes, you want to be weighed?" Habana asante (No, thank you)!

While on the dala dala, Ommy pointed out the window to "brother Chris." I thought, you're brother's name is Chris? Then, I realized he was referring to Chris who is staying with me! I love that they are so welcoming here. Beverly already calls me dada Kim (sister Kim) and Rose has already said, "I love you so much!" That might have been because I shared some chocolate with them, thanks to Mimi!

I am planning on heading to bed super early today in preparation for my first day at Shepherds school! I look forward to sharing all about it with you all!

Kwaheri (Good-bye),
dada Kim :)

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are having such a wonderful time. Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your posts, so great to hear what you are doing!! good luck with your first day, i guess you have already been through most of it by now... love you and am SO proud of you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is wonderful. If you can send emails....that will be great, as well. I hope your first day of school is as amazing as the rest of your time has been. Adventures before you!! Love ya,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim i'm so glad the trip has turned out to be a success already! can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete