Sunday, June 21, 2009

Karibu! (Welcome)

I didn't think the people of Tanzania could be any more welcoming of the visiting Mozungos. But, of course, I was proven wrong. I got home from a long day on Friday to a room empty of clothes! Dada Rose (who I have figured out, by my detective work ,is the house girl) had cleaned my clothes for me! By hand, no less! I was shocked (and a little bit excited that I didn't have to attempt a hand wash) that she had taken the time to do that for me. It was so sweet, too, when Benson came in from playing football he said, "I have to tell you...my sister did your wash and one of your skirts lost color that got on some of your white shirts. She is afraid she did something wrong." All I could say was "Hakuna Matata! That they are clean makes me happy enough!"

Almost every day when we get home from work, Beverly runs outside and up into my arms. Benson is usually playing football and yells "Hello!" waving from afar. Rose, the other day, came into my room to say, "Hi" and added, "I love you so much!" Granted, her English is limited, but I could not get over her saying that to me. Mama Florence has been nothing but hospitable and loving to us. She cooks wonderful meals every night (yes, I've still eaten everything!) and tells us how much she enjoys having us. I really couldn't be happier. My cheeks literally hurt the other night from the amount of smiling and laughing I did. For example, after my shower (by candlelight, using buckets) I came out to hear everyone singing the Titanic song in the living room. We then played cards and talked for awhile before bed. I asked Florence if I could come out in my PJs. Her response? "That is fine! Be free! Just don't come out naked!" :)

I am still enjoying my school placement very much. Erika and I get along well and it's kind of neat to be the one who knows how to catch and ride the dala dala every day. The headmaster had tea with us the other morning and invited Erika and me to his village one weekend. Again, another example of how welcoming everyone is! Lucy and I had a long chat about all we could do to help the school. The wheels are already turning in my head of how my 1st grade class next year can help out!

Saturday a group of us went out to Kilimanjaro (incidentally also the name of my new favorite adult beverage!) to see the base of the mountain, some beautiful waterfalls, and the caves where people hid during tribal wars. It was quite an experience, actually. We were a little disappointed in the base of Kili because we couldn't go very far on the path and it was a cloudy day, so we couldn't see the peak. It did make me want to climb it even more, but I do believe I'll have to wait on that one. Before I'm 30 for sure! However, we then travelled to Marunga Waterfalls and it was just spectacular! After eating lunch amidst the sound of rushing water and the beautiful lush vista we walked for about 45 minutes to see the caves.

Then, the excitement began. Alex, Chris, and Meagan were the first group to go down into the caves. They didn't talk much when the came out, except to explain about the bat their guide was holding and how he'd killed it right in front of them. Oh good, I can't wait to go in next. Christa, Erika, and I cautiously went in. I was the last of the group. It was literally pitch black, I couldn't see anything, but could feel the wet clay on the sides and underneath us. I told Christa I wasn't going to let go of her the whole time. Erika had a bat land on her and I believe in the midst of screaming, it was my voice that was recorded saying, "Can we go back now?" about five times. What an experience, though. I can't believe people stayed down there for long periods of time!

After that we went to try the "local brew." Ok, not a good idea. We stopped at this crazy place that had their brew in a plastic jug. I refused to test it after Meagan and Dina's description of the smell. And after they tried it? They said it tasted even worse than it smelled! No, thank you. I'll stick to my Kilimanjaro. I may have to figure out a way to get that in the states...

This morning we joined Florence and the kids at an Assembly of God church service. Again, just one more account of how much they love mozungos here, we were called to the front to introduce ourselves and say where we are from. Seriously, I felt like a celebrity. Florence asked me if I was "shivering" when I returned. Everyone said, "hi" to us as we left and "you are welcome!" I have to admit I was a little bit out of it after a 3 hour service. I asked Florence if I could take her to lunch afterwards to a good local place. We went and enjoyed unagi, beef, chicken, fried bananas, chips, and, of course, some Kilimanjaro and Serengeti. We ate family style with no utensils, it was great! At the end of the meal Florence asked each of us if we were happy. We all said "yes" with big smiles on our faces. She said, "I am so happy, too. So happy that you all are with me."

Beverly is turning 6 today, so we are out buying her a new jump rope, a book, and maybe a new dress.

Thank you, everyone, for your continued thoughts and prayers! I miss you all very much and cannot wait to share pictures and stories in person soon! I'm sure I'll be on again in the next few days, but next Thursday I leave on safari for four days. That, I'm sure will be quite the blog when I return!! Take care!

Kwaheri,
Kim

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I was going through blog withdrawal. So nice to hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience. I'm so proud of you! I love hearing about your adventures. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved having you as a teacher this year. I hope you have a great experience in Africa. I promise to come visit you next year from time to time. I look forward to hearing about your adventures, facts and experiences in your blog.

    Love, Katie Harris

    ReplyDelete