For those of you interested, here is the letter I sent out about my trip.
January 25, 2009
Dear Family and Friends,
As many of you know, I have been contemplating a mission trip to Africa for several years. It has been on my heart to volunteer and serve the children in Africa and I have finally committed to fulfilling this quest. For six weeks next summer I will teach at an impoverished school in the east coast city of Arusha, Tanzania.
I have enrolled as a volunteer through International Volunteer Headquarters (IVHQ), based out of New Zealand. As I searched for a program to guide me through the process, their mission statement stood out among the rest. “IVHQ endeavors to increase education and heighten awareness through not only the skills and expertise taken by volunteers to their host communities and institutions, but also through the experiences and lessons volunteers will in turn take back to their own countries and cultures.”
A primary goal of this trip is to bring my experiences back to share with the community. The potential to gain wisdom, an appreciation for different culture, and the ability to adapt to new situations are limitless. Through photographs, storytelling, journaling, sketching, and personal change I will translate this knowledge and understanding to anyone and everyone willing to listen.
As you can imagine, the cost of this endeavor is significant. I am writing to ask for your help to make this incredible opportunity possible. My goal is to raise $3500 to cover airfare and most of the program fees.
While a contribution of any amount would be of great benefit, I hope you will consider a donation of $35, one dollar for each day of volunteering. Christ Church Pensacola has agreed to help manage fundraising. If you decide to make a donation, please mail your check to Christ Church, PO Box 12683, Pensacola, FL 32591. Please make the check out to Christ Church, and write “Kimberly Stumpf’s Africa Fund” on the memo line. In the fortunate event that we exceed our fundraising goal, the extra money will be donated to the school at which I am working.
Should you have any questions or if you would just like to know more about my trip, please do not hesitate to be in touch! I have set up a blog to share my adventures with you throughout the trip. You can access it at http://kimstumpfafrica.blogspot.com/.
Thank you very much for helping to make this opportunity possible. Regardless of your ability to help financially, your thoughts and prayers are appreciated just as much. Your encouragement and support will make this experience even more rewarding!
Asante sana,
Kim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment